Quick Links

Quick Links

Endon High

SEND Report

This report is designed to give information and guidance for parents, prospective parents and other stakeholders about SEN provision at Endon High School.

Intro Page

This report complies with the statutory duty described in the legal framework; Special Educational Needs (Information) Regulations (Clause 64). It takes account of the Children’s Act 1989, Children’s Act 2004, Equality Act 2010, Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice 2014.


Who is responsible  for supporting SEN pupil at Endon?

SEN is everyone's responsibility…

Mr A.Jenkins SENDCo - Special Needs Co-Ordinator 


Mrs D.Watt Assistant SENDCo


School office ; For admin support or questions please contact the school office : 01782 502240


What are the four areas of SEN?

The Code of Practice (COP, 2014) identifies four broad areas of SEN need

  1. Communication and interaction
  2. Cognition and learning
  3. Social, emotional and mental health
  4. Sensory/physical


Where children and young people have visual and/or hearing impairments, or a physical need such as Cerebral Palsy, that means they must have additional on-going support and/or equipment.

Some medical needs can also be categorised in this way.


Communication and interaction

Where children and young people have speech, language and communication (SLCN) difficulties which make it difficult for them to make sense of language or to understand how to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.

Children and young people with an Autistic Spectrum Condition, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction.


Cognition and learning

 Where children and young people learn at a slower pace than others their age, they may:

have difficulty in understanding parts of the curriculum

have difficulties with organisation and memory skills

have a specific difficulty affecting one particular part of their learning such as in literacy or numeracy.

Social, emotional and mental health

Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which present themselves in many ways. They may:

 have difficulty in managing their relationships with other people

 be withdrawn

 behave in ways that may hinder their and other children’s learning or that have an impact on their health and wellbeing

This broad area includes attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or attachment disorder. It also includes behaviours that may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety, depression, self-harming and eating disorders.

Some children with Autism so have SEMH as their primary need.


How does Endon identify those who may have additional needs?

We identify children who may have additional needs via:

1.Tracking of attainment outcomes that indicate a lack of progress

2.Concerns raised by parents/carers, teachers, or the pupil's previous school

3.A pupil asks for additional help 

4.Use of external professionals to assess the needs of an individual pupil

Anything ‘Additional to’ or ‘Different from’ the majority of pupils will require additional support.


What next?

Once identified initially through a teacher or parent referral. The SENCo/Assistant SENCo will, along with parents, pupils and progress managers implement stages of the ‘assess, plan, do and review’ model. This is to see if pupils require further additional support. If they do, this may be repeated.


Pupils may require specific targets which will be identified and shared with parents via an IEP or Individual Educational Plan. This will help inform teachers of what strategies to support pupils with in lessons.


Where a pupil requires specific intervention and support they will be placed on our SEN register in consultation with parents.

Where appropriate, a small number of pupils may require support from outside agencies or an Educational and Health care needs assessment may be required to ensure additional funding.



For a very small percentage of pupils, whose needs are significant and complex and the special educational provision required to meet their needs cannot reasonably be provided from within the school’s own resources, a request will be made to the local authority to conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs.  This may result in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan being provided.

Where it is recognised through the Assess, Plan, Do, Review process, or via parental request an EHCP can be requested.Initially this is sent to the Local Authority via the school, where an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment is requested.

 The EHCP process further involves professionals from the local authority, an educational psychologist, reports and evidence from school regarding the needs and the processes and support the school has initiated.

 Once approved Pupils should receive their EHCP within 20 weeks. This attracts an amount of additional funding(reviewed annually) and where appropriate remains with the young person until 25. Further information can be found via the website below.



External Agencies

Where school feels a pupil needs specialist additional support, with support from parents we may invoke these specialist services, among others;

·Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS) 

·Behaviour Support Service

·Dyslexia Centres

·Autism Outreach Team

·Hearing Impairment Team

·Visual Impairment Team

·Educational Psychologist Service

·Educational Welfare Officers and Family Engagement Workers

·Physical and Disability Support Service

·Social Services and Local Support Team

·School Nurse

·Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and Younger MIND


How does Endon monitor and support pupils with SEND?

All pupils will be provided with High Quality First Teaching that is differentiated to meet the diverse needs of all learners. 

Pupils with a disability will be provided with “reasonable adjustments” in order to increase their access to the taught curriculum such as access to special equipment, specialist software or additional access arrangements The quality of teaching is monitored through a number of processes that includes:

·Classroom observation by Directors of Teaching and Learning, Senior Leadership Team, SENCo and external verifiers

·Ongoing assessment of progress made by a pupil in specific intervention groups

·Work sampling

·Teacher meetings with the Assistant SENCo or SENCo

·Pupil and parent feedback when reviewing progress

·Whole school pupil progress tracking

·Attendance and behaviour records

·Pupil voice surveys


How will the curriculum be adapted to meet my child’s needs?

The school ensures it provides a broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils. Teachers plan using pupils prior attainment and progress, differentiating work to better meet the needs of all pupils in the classroom.  When a pupil has been identified as having special needs, their work will be further differentiated by the class teacher to remove barriers to learning and enable them to access the curriculum more easily.  In addition, they will be provided with additional support that may include specialised equipment or resources, ICT and/or additional adult help.

A ‘setting’ structure may be used based on prior attainment and progress in some subjects to help meet the needs of pupils.


 Additional Information for Parents of SEN Pupils

 1.Staffordshire SEND family partnership

2. 1.Parents who live in Staffordshire may access this service for information, support and advice regarding Special Educational Needs: https://www.staffordshireconnects.info/kb5/Stafford 

3. shire/directory/service.page?id=1OoyFonzl5M : Telephone 01785 356921 

4. Parent who live in Stoke on Trent need to contact: www.sendiass-stoke.co.uk telephone 01782 234701 

5. 1.Parent In The know


 6.Local Offer; Staffordshire Connects;


 7.Information about the arrangements for the admission of disabled pupils, the steps taken to prevent disabled pupils from being treated less favourably than other pupils, the facilities provided to assist access for disabled pupils are available in the school’s Equal Opportunities Policy and Inclusion Policy which can be accessed via the school website

The SEND Code of Practice 2014 is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/SEND-code-of-practice-0-to-25



For complaints please contact the School Governor with responsibility for SEND, Mr Hamnett, who can be contacted via the Clerk to Governors, Mrs Sawyer at secretary@endon.staffs.sch.uk

Endon High School is part of the Shaw Education Trust Limited, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales under company number 09067175 whose registered address is The Lodge, Wolstanton High School, Milehouse Lane, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 9JU. Shaw Education Trust is an exempt charity. Endon High School is not accountable for the content displayed on the external webpages that may be linked from our site. All necessary precautions are taken to ensure the specified content linked to is of an appropriate nature; however, we cannot be held responsible for any other material published by any other site.